What is PTI?
The Pretrial Intervention Program (PTI) provides first-time offenders with an alternative to traditional prosecution in the criminal justice system. PTI seeks to provide intervention and a second chance through rehabilitative services when those efforts can potentially deter future criminal behavior. Participants are required to perform community service, make restitution to their victims, and to participate in individual and group counseling. They may receive educational, vocational, or other appropriate referrals to community agencies. Simply stated, the goal of PTI is to determine and address the root causes of criminal activity to deter a defendant’s future criminal or disorderly behavior.
Who Can Apply?
- First time offenders charged with nonviolent crime(s),
- 17 years or older,
- Referred from bond court by a judge, an attorney, or a member of law enforcement.
When Should I Apply?
- You should apply as soon after the arrest as possible.
Excluded Offenses Include:
- Crimes of violence
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
- Other crimes prohibited by State law
If you are accepted into the Program, the Solicitor will agree to place the charges against you on hold. As long as you are participating in the PTI Program, your case will not be called for trial. You cannot participate in PTI more than once.
- Pay $250 participation fee
- Perform 30-50 hours of community service work
- Pay restitution, if any, to victim(s) of your crime
- Actively participate in counseling sessions, activities and educational classes
- Pass drug test(s)
- Not be rearrested while enrolled in PTI
Program Cost and Requirements
You must bring the following items with you when you appear for your first scheduled PTI meeting:
- A $100 money order or cashiers check (NO cash or personal checks are accepted)
- A copy of your arrest warrant(s) or ticket(s)
- A valid picture ID
- Your Social Security card
- $20 cash for an initial drug test
Non-Refundable Program Fees are:
- Application Fee $100
- Participation Fee $250
- Expungement Fee $250
- Clerk of Court Filing Fee $35
Counseling session fees vary by offense.
Drug test fees vary by case.
PTI application and participation fees may be waived partially or totally by the Solicitor in cases of proof of indigence. If fees are waived, the participant will be required to perform additional community service.